3 min Read

Tax Tips & Information

Through the tax system, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) administers a range of benefits and credits for persons with a disability or those who are caring for a dependant with a disability. By filing your income tax and benefit return by April 30, 2020, your return will be processed faster and if you are entitled to a refund, you will receive it earlier.

Maximize Tax Credits

Notable Federal non-refundable tax credits.

  • Disability Amount – If a qualified practitioner certifies on Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate, that you have a severe and prolonged impairment in physical or mental function, you can claim the disability amount when filing your return. The disability amount can be transferred in whole or in part if the person with the disability does not need it to reduce his or her taxable income.
  • Medical Expenses – You may be able to claim the cost of medical expenses for any 12-month period ending in 2019 (provided that they have not been claimed before) for yourself, your spouse or common-law partner, or your dependents.
    For more information about medical expenses, including a list of common eligible expenses, please call 1 800 959 8218 or visit www.canada.ca.
  • Canada Caregiver Credit – You may be able to claim the CCC for one or more of the following individuals if they depend on you for support because of a physical or mental impairment:
    • 1. Your or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s child or grandchild.
    • 2. Your spouse’s or common-law partner’s parent, grandparent, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, niece, or nephew (if resident in Canada at any time in the year).

Registered Disability Savings Plan

A registered disability savings plan (RDSP) is a plan that provides long-term financial security for a beneficiary who has a severe impairment in physical or mental function. The beneficiary named under an RDSP must be eligible for the disability tax credit. Contributions are not tax deductible, but the earnings generated on contributions are tax-exempt while they stay in the plan. When earnings are withdrawn from the savings plan, they are taxable in the hands of the beneficiary.

For more information, go to www.rdsp.ca

Help completing your return?

Disability Alliance BC has a free tax preparation service that assists those on PWD and income assistance. To access their service, please call (236) 477-1717.

Otherwise, if you qualify for the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program and have a simple tax situation, a trained volunteer will help you complete your 2019 income tax and benefit return.

To find a Community Volunteer Income Tax Program clinic near you, go to www.canada.ca or call the CRA Individuals Income Tax Enquiries line at 1 800 959 8281.

Multiple Formats

If you have a visual impairment, you can get our publications in braille, large print, etext (CD or diskette), or MP3, or by calling 1 800 959 2221. You can also get your personalized correspondence in one of these formats by calling 1 800 959 8281. Visit www.canada.ca for more information.