Is shaping the minds of the next generation part of your life’s calling? The Developmental Disabilities Association has an immediate opening for a Child and Youth Worker position. This role ensures the provision of an enriched leisure program by providing opportunities for learning and skill development. The Child and Youth Worker ensures that the activities being offered are designed to promote an inclusive program within the community.
Since 1952, Developmental Disabilities Association has been helping thousands of people in BC with developmental disabilities reach their full potential through support and advocacy. We create extended networks of support, invest in individual needs, and strive for an inclusive and safe community. Come see what we’re all about. Go to www.develop.bc.ca for our latest blogs and then connect with us on social and say hello! Facebook: @dda604 Twitter: @dda604 Instagram: @developdda
Location: Leisure Challenge (Kensington Community Centre)
Start Date: 25 April 2023
Schedule/Hours: Monday 13:00-18:00, Tuesday to Friday 14:00-18:00 // 21 hours per week – Part time during school days, Temporary Full time hours during school breaks (Winter, Summer and Spring)
Hourly Wage: $23.45
What We Offer:
- An extensive employer paid benefits package that includes healthcare and dental
- Municipal Pension Plan
- On-the-job training
- Professional development
- Community involvement
- An inclusive work environment
- Certificate or minimum of 3 years in related studies toward a degree such as Therapeutic Recreation, Leisure Studies, Child Care, Social Sciences, or Education.
- Minimum 1 year direct experience with youth in a recreational setting.
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills.
- Formal training in the area of counselling and behavior management.
- Requires physical strength, good balance, mobility and endurance for recreational activities.
- Criminal Record Clearance
- Medical Clearance
- Satisfactory Driver’s Abstract
- Class 5 Driver’s License/ able to obtain Class 4 Unrestricted License preferred
- Valid First Aid/CPR
- Non-violent Crisis Intervention Certification (training provided if needed)
- Demonstrated competency in English written and verbal communication
- Basic computer literacy
- Eligible to work in Canada
This position is only open to male applicants
This position requires union membership
For more information, please visit our website at www.develop.bc.ca
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.